The ingredients are chicken, spices and the specialty is the choice of rice named Khyma. Khyma rice is generally mixed with ghee.Although a huge amount of spices such as mace,cashew nuts , sultana raisins, fennel-cumin seeds, tomato, onion, ginger, garlic, cloves and cinnamon are used,there is only a small amount of chili (or chili powder) used in the preparation.A pakki biryani, the Thalassery biryani uses a small-grained thin (not round) fragrant variety of rice known as Khyma or Jeerakasala. The dum method of preparation (sealing the lid with dough (maida) or cloth and placing red hot charcoal above the lid) is applied here.
Home made biriyani masala ingredients:
Cinnamon stick 25nos
Cardamom 5 nos
Cloves 2 nos
sa jeerakam 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds 1/4teaspoon
Fennel seeds spoon 1/4
Star anise 2 nos
Nutmeg piece 1/2
For chicken marination and chicken masala:
Curd 1 /2 cups
Biriyani masala 1/2teaspoons
Pepper powder 3/4teaspoon
Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
Indian white poppy seed 3/4 teaspoon
Garlic 8(crushed) cloves 7
Ginger medium size piece 2 (crushed)
Green chilly (crushed) 10 15nos
Tomato 2 nos
Mint leaves 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves 1/4 cup
Ghee 3 tablespoon 2
Onion thinly sliced 6nos
For biriyani Rice:
Vayanadan kaima/jeerakasala rice 750g
Lemon juice 2teaspoons
Small cinnamon stick 1
Bay leaves 1nos
Rose water few drops
Coconut oil 2 teaspoons
Cashew nut roasted 15g
Raisin roasted 15g
Coriander leaves handful
Mint leaves handful
Ghee 2/3 teaspoons
1. preparation of home made biriyani masala:
2. roast the ingredients and make fine powder.keep it in an air tight container.
1.soak poppy seeds in water and make fine paste.
2.cut the chicken in to medium pieces(normally one chicken 812 pieces). clean and drain water completely.
3.Marinate chicken pieces with 1/2 cup of curd,1 teaspoon lemon juice,1/2 teaspoon biriyani masala,1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder,1/2 teaspoon pepper powder,1/4 of the crushed garlic,ginger, green chilly,poppy seed paste and salt.keep it aside for 30 minutes
1.Clean and thinly slice onion.
2.slice tomatoes and chop coriander and mint leaves
3.Heat coconut oil/ghee in a large deep bottom pan(make sure that the bottom of the pan has enough thickness).add 1/4 of the thinly sliced onion.fry it till golden,remove and drain over a paper towel.
4.then fry cashew nut and raisin in the same oil.this is for garnishing biriyani. Keep it aside.
5.in to the same oil add one pinch of whole black pepper, one star anise,one or two cloves and a small piece of cinnamon.
6.add thinly sliced onion saute until it is transparent.
7.add remaining crushed garlic,ginger and green chilly,saute well till the raw taste leaves.
8.add chopped tomato and saute for few minutes.
9.add 3/4 teaspoon biriyani masala,and remaining turmeric powder mix well.
10.add the marinated chicken ,stir well and cook for few minutes.
11. Add chopped coriander and mint leaves.check salt consistency add more if needed.cover with a lid and cook(chicken should be 1/2 3/4 cooked and dry.it will cooked further in the final step.
12.Once the chicken is cooked 1/2 or 3/4 switch off the stove(here chicken needs less cooking time so i normally cook 1/2,but when i am in Kerala the chicken is not easily cooked so i cook the chicken 3/4). If there is excess gravy in the chicken remove it and keep aside.
Preparation of rice:
1.clean rice and drain water completely.
2.boil water (1.1/2 cup water for 1 cup rice ),add salt,rose water,cinnamon and cardamom.
3.heat ghee in a deep bottom vessel. add rice and fry for 34 minutes.
4. Add boiled water,1 teaspoon lemon juice and one teaspoon coconut oil.Stir well and cover with a lid.check salt consistency.
5. cook till the rice is soft and completely absorbed water.switch of fire and keep aside.Dum is the final stage of biriyani making.
For dum or layering:
1.mix fried onion, cashew, raisin, coriander leaves and mint leaves together for garnishing.
2.take the vessel containing cooked chicken(the same chicken masala pan).spread some ghee and sprinkle some biriyani masala in it.spread one layer of cooked rice on top of the chicken masala. sprinkle the garnishing item and one teaspoon excess gravy(you can use saffron milk instead of gravy,).
3. again do layering till the rice finish(23 layers). and add left over ghee(melted)around the rim of the vessel and little on rice.
4. cover the vessel with a heavy lid and tightly seal the lid with maida (all purpose flour) dough.
5. if you are making biriyani in a traditional oven place hot coal or charcoal on top of the lid .
6.if you are cooking in stove place a nonstick or cast iron pan on the stove in a lower flame and place biriyani vessel on top of it.put a wet cloth on the top of the vessel.
7. Cook in low flame for 15/20 minutes.
8. turn of heat. let it stand for few more minutes remove coal or cloth and open the lid.
9. Once open the vessel, transfer rice in to another vessel and mix well.at the bottom you can see some rice mixed with chicken .keep it in chicken itself or you can mix it with chicken.
10.while serving place chicken masala in the center and cover it with rice.(evenly distribute throughout).on the top place a boiled egg.
11.serve hot with onion salad,lemon pickle ,raitha,puthina chammanthy and pappadam.